I was given a post-it note after class which I, being the impeccable scholar I am, decided to fold a unicorn with. Upon presenting it to my classmates, several commented that it looked more like a duck and when rotated it is quite easy to see so.
I built on this idea for the rest of the day and made feet so it could stand. I like the angles of the head as it makes it look like a cartoony duck or seagull. I was also impressed with the feet which are made from the corners (typically a weak part of the paper) yet could support the weight of the rest of the model. Overall it looks much more “full” that it actually is. Just as in the unicorn that formed it, the main anatomical flaw is the lack of a tail. Even though a duck’s tail is much shorter there was no real good way to made it stick out from the back so I left it as is.
One thing I enjoy about simple models is that they can easily manipulated to form new models. I did this quite often when I was younger to suit the tastes I had at the time, often transforming ordinary models into warriors so they could do battle (I based their significance based on the number of steps they took so the more complex ones were kings and generals while simple ones were merely peasants). However performing a simple turn to arrive at a new model is impossible with more complex models which feature toes and horns and hands and other intended appendages. This is one reason it is nice to take a break from such models and enjoy the simplicity and joy “easy” models can bring. Simpler models are also great for a limited time budget as the accomplishment of designing a new model can still be experienced without spending months on a single design.
Folded originally from a square, uncut sticky note and later with uncut, squares of printer paper.