Another derivative of the binder paper beak I mentioned in the Kiwi Bird post. This design came quickly because of the existing head model and plentiful paper for the rest of the avian form. The proportions are off but I think real life hummingbirds appear to sport similar ratios so it doesn’t look too cartoonishly unnatural.

The kiwi bird’s design wastes a lot of paper and more of it is utilized in this design to form wings and a tail. There is still a lot of wasted paper in this design but not many additional appendages to be added and because I find the existing proportions acceptable I will probably not spend more time optimizing the size of the existing feet and tail.

Folded from a single uncut sheet of square printer paper.


Kiwi Bird

This model was inspired from that corner of binder paper in the first two pictures. The point from the corner of binder paper looked like a beak and the rest of the bird was easy to design after I had the head down.

In the future, I might attempt a design with claws but other than that, I am very pleased with the current iteration.

Folded from a single square sheet of orange printer paper.

Some More Gorillas

For some reason, I keep on coming back to the gorillas a design topic. I think it is the inverted proportions that intrigue me; the large hands and arms and shorter legs much different than other animals.

The latter two designs were spawned from experiments in bases instead of a direct attempt to make a gorilla. They use the same design for the face which was originally based on the first model. I much prefer the current model of face to the older one but I didn’t want to unfold the old one for the picture so it stands out in that regard.

The shortest one started from the feet which were formed from the middle of the paper. This led to much excess paper but it also allowed me to get a detailed head and chest which I am happy with. I found the small size comedic but it made it difficult to photograph.

The newest model was also the result of a design experiment. I began with a fish base and attempted to make something more complex from it. It is overall my favorite although the pointy head is a bit strange.

All models were each folded from a single sheet of uncut, square printer paper.


I recently stumbled upon this doodle and decided to refold it to a presentable standard. The original one has an extra six points which I cut out of the newer one to emphasize the six larger ones.

The design is based off a hexagon which I found in one of my origami books. This design uses a grid, but instead of squares, the gird is made of equilateral triangles. Most of the familiar boxpleating techniques were still applicable and it was interesting to see how the angles of the points turned out when using a 60-degree grid instead of the typical 90. This is definitely something I want to explore more in the future as the difference in angles lends itself nicely to some models that get limited by unnatural 90-degree corners.

Both snowflakes each folded from a single square sheet of printer paper.

Rick and Morty Cthulhu

I can’t remember how I discovered Rick and Morty but the whimsical nature of the show intrigued me and the vast range of characters presented themselves as fun design challenges. The Cthulhu appears in the show’s opening scene but has yet to be featured in its own episode.

I initially believed this would be an easy design as the Cthulhu from Rick and Morty doesn’t have any legs which would make the bottom half very simple. Adding to this cockiness was the fact that I had already designed a Cthulhu before and believed that I would be able to make simple modifications to reach the desired outcome.

As I began to design the head, I realized I was sorely mistaken. The details in the head were more difficult than I had anticipated and the tail and wings evidently suffered in size as a result. The fingers were also smaller than I would have liked and they took on a very improvisational form when I attempted to create a grid outside the 22.5 degree base.

Overall I am happy with the result considering the ad-libbed appendages because the head turned out much better than I was hoping for. All six eyes are present and the overall shape was brought into being by coincidence in my attempts to create the eyes. I might make another attempt at this model with a different base but for now, I am pleased with the result.

Folded from a single sheet of square, uncut printer paper.


I have wanted to make a buffalo for quite some time now and I stumbled upon this design with a random doodle I made from scratch paper.

The best part for me is that the base is not dependent of reference points and is arbitrarily chosen when beginning the construction. The idea that order can still be achieved from perceived randomness intrigues me in origami. I think the proportions are well suited for the subject but its simplistic design limits the details I could add, such as the horns which look a bit disconnected from the head.

Folded from a single square sheet of printer paper.

Gum Wrapper Trident


I made this on the plane back from Toronto. I only wanted to make a trident because the gum was of the trident variety and you can still somewhat see the logo on the folded model. I lost the original but this one looks significantly better except for the chunk missing from the handle which is only because the wrapper I found had a chunk missing.

Folded from a single Trident gum wrapper.