I was given a post-it note after class which I, being the impeccable scholar I am, decided to fold a unicorn with. Upon presenting it to my classmates, several commented that it looked more like a duck and when rotated it is quite easy to see so.
I built on this idea for the rest of the day and made feet so it could stand. I like the angles of the head as it makes it look like a cartoony duck or seagull. I was also impressed with the feet which are made from the corners (typically a weak part of the paper) yet could support the weight of the rest of the model. Overall it looks much more “full” that it actually is. Just as in the unicorn that formed it, the main anatomical flaw is the lack of a tail. Even though a duck’s tail is much shorter there was no real good way to made it stick out from the back so I left it as is.
One thing I enjoy about simple models is that they can easily manipulated to form new models. I did this quite often when I was younger to suit the tastes I had at the time, often transforming ordinary models into warriors so they could do battle (I based their significance based on the number of steps they took so the more complex ones were kings and generals while simple ones were merely peasants). However performing a simple turn to arrive at a new model is impossible with more complex models which feature toes and horns and hands and other intended appendages. This is one reason it is nice to take a break from such models and enjoy the simplicity and joy “easy” models can bring. Simpler models are also great for a limited time budget as the accomplishment of designing a new model can still be experienced without spending months on a single design.
Folded originally from a square, uncut sticky note and later with uncut, squares of printer paper.
I made this model over the summer and I guess I didn’t get a chance to post it despite how proud of it I was. I fabricated the entire model in my head and it worked perfectly the first time I tried to fold it. It’s only merit is being extraordinarily easy to fold as there is almost no definition of the body and no tail at all. It looks more like a giraffe but it has a horn so it is obviously a unicorn. The horn could easily be modified to be ears or ossicones (those horn like appendages on their heads) but I think the simplicity of the model is better than a more complex graft with a very simple body.
Folded from a single sheet of uncut, square printer paper.
The arm is even shorter as the upper parts of it are connected to the head /neck and cannot move freely.
I had another go at making a Tyrannosaurus Rex unicorn hybrid and I went with a more simplistic approach, cutting the toes and fingers in favor of a more exaggerated head and body. I like the more cartoonish proportions especially considering the subject matter.
Folded from single square of uncut printer paper.
This was one of the first animals I tried to “unicornify” because it’s basically a snake with flippers (I might make a snakeicorn but that would be kinda lame). I went through a surprising amount of revisions considering how simple a plesiosaur is.
Made from a single sheet of square, uncut printer paper.
Origami giraffes are difficult because of neck and legs and the amount of paper that needs to be dedicated to in order to achieve such proportions. I made a first draft of the head, attempted to graft a body on, then modified the head after several revisions of the body. Overall, I think it is one of the more polished models overall and I am happy with the result.
Made from one sheet of square, uncut printer paper (for each girafficorn)
Crease pattern (pdf)
I had a rough draft but the horn was too short so I added a graft for a longer horn. This allowed me to also add eyes and make the fins a bit smoother.
Folded from a single sheet of square, uncut printer paper.
Rhinoceriocorn because two horns aren’t enough. It also has tiny wings on his back.
Made from a single sheet of square, uncut printer paper